Friday 20 November 2015

The Firemaker by Peter May


Reviewer: Gillian Hamer, author of The Charter, Closure, Complicit, Crimson Shore. (www.gillianhamer.com)

What we thought: I am a huge fan of Peter May and would list his Lewis trilogy among my favourite top three crime fiction reads of recent years, so I was excited to take on book one of this China Thriller series.
Location plays a big part for me in books, connecting with the setting, as well as the characters will determine if I immerse myself fully in the story, and if I’m honest the thought of a China location, with all the language and name difficulties that posed, did put me off the series for a time. 

But I have to say I am pleased I took the plunge!

In normal Peter May style we open with a gruesome murder, and it’s not long before we sympathise with the chief detective in the case, Li Yan, who faces mounting pressure from all sides as the body count increases. Finally, his boss enlists the help of a visiting US pathologist, Margaret Campbell, who has decided to spend time in a new country and culture to escape the mess of her own life back in America. 

The two leading characters soon bond, and in their own troubled ways forge an excellent crime fighting team that puts their own lives in danger.

This is a great start to the series, fast paced, full of twists and heavy with tension. I can see great things in the future for both Li Yan and Ms Campbell, and can already see their private lives are going to be as enthralling as their professional careers.

Another winner from a truly talented author!

You’ll enjoy this if you like: Jo Nesbo, Ann Cleeves, Peter James.

Avoid if you don’t like: China.

Ideal accompaniments: Special fried rice and green tea.

Genre: Crime thriller.

Available from Amazon





No comments:

Post a Comment