Friday 5 June 2015

Spirit of Lost Angels by Liza Perrat

Reviewer: Meg Wessell, A Bookish Affair

What we thought: Okay, have you ever started reading a book slower and slower as the ending gets closer just so you can put off getting to the ending quickly because the book is that good? This is exactly what happened to me with Spirit of Lost Angels. This book is a fantastic tale of history, a little mystery, and great characters that I know is going to stay with me long after I shut the book. There is also a small pinch of magic in a bone angel pendent that the main character, Victoire, receives from her mother who is a healer in her own right. Oh, and this book is filled with fantastic writing. This book hit all of the marks for me! Oh, this book just was so fantastic (excuse me if I use fantastic a whole bunch in this review).

First off, Victoire is such a fantastic character. You will be rooting for her from the very beginning. Her life is anything but easy. She is incredibly resilient though. With every new plot twist (and there are tons and tons and I loved every single one), she gets knocked down but finds some way to fix things and make them better. I loved following Victoire through Revolutionary France.

The historical detail is fantastic (there I go again). You can tell the author took a lot of care in making Victoire's world both in the French countryside and in Paris come to life. I also really liked the appearance of a couple famous historical figures in the book. I don't want to give anything away but one was a famous American who I'd probably love to talk buildings and books with and the other is a very prolific female philosopher of sorts. Part of the reason I wanted to savor this book so much was because of the scenery and the settings.
This book is a really good example of how amazing indie books can be! Do yourself a favor and get this book!
I was pleased to learn that this book is the first in a series all about Victoire's descendents.

You’ll enjoy this if you like: Stories set around the historical French Revolution.

Avoid if you don’t like: Stories featuring injustice of peasants and women.

Ideal accompaniments: French baguette, strong cheese and a stronger Burgundy red.

Genre: Historical Fiction

Available from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment