Wednesday 22 January 2014

A Delicate Truth (audio version) by John Le Carre


Reviewer : Gillian Hamer, author of The Charter

What we thought : I listened to this on audio book and found it an entertaining novel. This is the first novel I've read by John Le Carre, but after seeing some rave reviews by writers I rate, I decided to give a spy novel a go!

There is some superb writing here and great characterisation that really pull you into the story. The writing is effortless and in places took my breath away. However, the story I felt was a little weak, without the twists and turns I'd been expecting. We follow two men, Toby Bell and Kit, who in two separate ways are embroiled in a failed anti-terrorist raid that endangers both the people involved and the British Government. There are the usual murders made to look like suicides, and the usual kidnaps and beatings, but the end left me disappointed. Yes, we're lead to believe justice would be done and good would prevail, but I must admit I was left with a sense of dissatisfaction at the end of this novel. Somehow, I wanted more.

Would I try another Le Carre? Yes, probably. I did like the fact the author took the plunge and read his own work. But I'd hope that there was more edge of the seat intrigue that I found here. Good but not great would be my summary – but maybe endless hours of watching duff James Bond films have tainted my view of spy thrillers forever
You’ll enjoy this if you like : James Bond and similar stuff. (ie not girly stuff)

Avoid if you don’t like : Spies, espionage, counter-terrorism plots, posh folk.
Ideal accompaniments : A dry Martini. Shaken not stirred.

Genre : Thriller

 

No comments:

Post a Comment